Between the Côte de Beaune to the north and the mounts of the Mâconnais in the south, the Côte Chalonnaise vineyards spread along a swath of 30 km by approximately 7 km in width. Here, in the heart of landscapes punctuated by hills in a carefully preserved environment, the vines have found their happy place on the southeast facing hillsides. For over a thousand years vine stocks have grown in soils similar to those of the neighbouring Côte de Beaune and the grapes ripen well here; benefitting from hot summers and dry autumns.
Much of the history of our region is founded in viticulture. Certain wines were enjoyed by the Court of France in the Middle Ages. The wine of Givry, for example, was particularly esteemed by King Henry IV. Cluny monks were also fond of Montagny wines and contributed significantly to the enhancement of the vineyard.
Longtemps, les vins de la Côte Chalonnaise, encore méconnus, se commercialisaient sous le nom d’autres villages de la Côte de Beaune. Depuis 1930, et grâce à la mise en place de la réglementation sur les Appellations d’Origines Contrôlées, nos vins ont réussi à se faire un nom et ils connaissent aujourd’hui un succès croissant.